Re: regulator driving me crazy

To: "Mike Duvall" <duvallcom@sbcglobal.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: regulator driving me crazy
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:14:38 +0100
No experience with a TD but on an MGB if you disconnect the loom from the
dynamo, connect the D and F terminals together with a voltmeter to ground,
you should see 20v by the time the engine is revving at 1000rpm.  Don't rev
above this is it can damage the dynamo.  The cut-out relay should operate at
about 13v i.e. just above battery voltage, and the voltage regulator should
maintain about 15v, but this will reduce as you add more electrical load,
although allowing the engine to idle will probably stop it charging, so run
it at about 3k.  However worn or sticky brushes or bad connections in the
dynamo and control box wiring could well cause the charging voltage to drop
significantly with even a moderate load.  The current will depend on the
voltage, the load, and any wiring resistances, so it is easier to measure
the voltages at various points and the current will look after itself.