Re: Pressure inside engine?

To: "Steve Piepenbrink" <mgbyellow@netzero.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pressure inside engine?
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 12:37:21 +0100
There should be slight *negative* pressure in the crankcase which can be
felt, and heard by a change in idle speed, by removing the oil filler cap
and placing the palm over the hole.  If there are problems in the breathing
then oil can be forced out, but it is more likely to be a bad seal.  Check
the covers haven't been distorted by previous overtightening.  A late North
American spec with charcoal canister must have a sealed oil filler cap.  All
but the earliest non-charcoal canister systems have a vented cap.