Re: MGA Head gasket

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGA Head gasket
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 09:57:32 EDT
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> Bill,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I agree with everything you say. The rocker pedestals
> have been shimmed in an attempt to restore the proper angles. Could be, as
> you say, there's not enough mass left in the head deck to stay flat under
> operating temps.
>
> I still wanted to give this head one more try, but if it doesn't cooperate I
> have a spare 1800 head that has not been chopped on

Uh oh - if you start with the 1800 head with the large sized combustion
chamber, you are going to have low compression unless you shave the heck out of
it
- and wind right back where you started with deck too thin and rockers neeing
shimming (shortening pushrods is a better way to go, but you can't do that on
stock pushrods, only after-market bits).

I'd suggest that you find a proper 1500/1600 head - there is enough room to
fit the larger 1622/1798 valves if you want to, and you'd have the right sort
of compression.

Bill