ITS ALIVE! MGA runs again

To: "mg list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: ITS ALIVE! MGA runs again
From: "Kevin Richards" <mg.carma@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 18:16:51 -0400
To the wise ones: I need some help. Finally, She starts. Thanks to Barney and
John!

Well,
since 1998 it has been apart.
My MGA MKII that the list was the first to hear about when I bought it is now
rumbling back to life after many years of restoration, and about a year to
go.

The engine is in the chassis, all rebuilt.
I wanted to get it in the chassis and work out all the bugs before the body
gets finished. There is no joy in removing an engine for a weepy gasket over
brand new bodywork.

So, here is my report from today.
Engine ran, stuck float in #1 carb, fixed that.
Adjusted the timing, runs even smoother.
I have the radiator and fan all hooked up, just as it would be if it was in
the car.
Problem: Temp gauge reads 200,
good news: 75-80psi oil pressure.
Symptoms:
Top of radiator very hot, thermostat housing very hot.Top hose hot. Lower tank
lukewarm, lower hose lukewarm.

My thoughts: possibly the tstat was put in backwards (my mistake), or my water
pump just isnt doing the job.

what do you think my next move should be?

I turned off the engine, it was 90 degrees today, but I don't think that can
account for the top being hot and the bottom being warm?

I do have the heater switch hooked up and it just bypasses the heater unit and
goes rignt back into the engine. That tube was hot, as was the heater switch
on the block.

your suggestions are always helpful.
thanks
Kevin Richards