up in smoke - was Re: in-line fuse

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: up in smoke - was Re: in-line fuse
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 14:15:06 -0600
Maybe its related- I cannot get the wiper/fan circuit to work yet but
figured I would work on it later when I had time. Meanwhile, the fuse has
been removed from the in-line fuse holder.

So today, I drove the car to work again and it ran flawlessly as usual. But
at lunch, as soon as I turned the ignition on, a great deal of smoke came
out from the dash. I quickly turned off the ignition but the damage was
done. My brand new $300 wiring harness started melting inside the wrapping,
up to the tach, along the white wire. I managed a quick repair to get the
car started and it drove home,again flawlessly with the tach working fine
on my spliced wire.

So now the car is in the garage and sometime later, I'm going to have to
split open the harness at least in the section near the gauges. So, should
I have this wire fused somewhere? I presume its unfused since my 25A fuses
did not blow. Would this be a problem with the construction of the new
harness? I'm a bit pissed now since I recently bought a new harness and now
I'll either have to replace it or cobb together some kind of less
professional repair.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B