Re: steering wheel again

To: "Martin Libhart" <libhart@cox.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: steering wheel again
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:24:38 +0100
As you have found and anyone else will tell you, it is *not* the nut that is
holding the wheel on but the tapered splined shaft.

Some say to push and pull on alternate sides of the wheel, I have had no
problems getting both mine off by bracing my knees at the back of the rim
and striking the column (not the nut) with a medium hammer a few times.  If
your aim is not good place the ball peen of one hammer on the shaft and hit
that with another, whilst wearing eye protection.  Because you are bracing
the wheel upwards striking the shaft with a hammer is not going to damage
the collapsible part unless you go berserk.  They do take effort to get off.