Re: What does a "cruddy" fuel tank do?

To: "Tim Holt" <holtt@nacse.org>, "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What does a "cruddy" fuel tank do?
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:20:06 +0100
Never understood the crud theory, it would have to float on the surface to
come into contact with the strainer only when the fuel level was low.  I can
accept that a full tank would suffer less turbulence and hence less
stirring-up of bottom-sitting crud, but would expect plenty of turbulence
and hence the problem way before 3/4 empty.  Greater ratio of crud to fuel
when nearly empty and so more likelihood of affecting the pickup?  Possibly,
but it would be progressive and not suddenly start at 1/4 full.  The
clincher is what the pump is doing at 1/4 full or lower - if chattering and
pumping bubbles with the fuel then it is a holed pickup pipe.  If just low
output then blocked strainer.