caliper rebuild problem

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: caliper rebuild problem
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 17:46:10 -0500
I'm rebuilding the brake calipers on the front of the 67B and have run into
a problem. I can't get the new dust seal retainers pressed into the caliper
body around the piston.  I'm using all new parts, even pistons. I can  fit
the old retainers back on without a problem, but not the new ones. I can do
this by putting the retainer and seal into the caliper body first and then
putting the piston in; the instructions say to put the inner seal in first,
then piston, then press the retainer and seal in last.
I made a block of wood with a circle cut in it just a few thou greater than
the piston diameter and have tried using a clamp on this block to press the
retainer in but it just pops back up on one side or the other.
Anyone else had a problem with the retainers (Moss) being too tight of a
fit? I really think they are the right size, I just can't get even pressure
all the way around them. Are caliper pistons for GM or Ford cars the same
size? If so maybe one of the dealerships in town would let me borrow/rent a
pressing tool.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Monte