found the original owner! of my MGA!

To: "mg list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: found the original owner! of my MGA!
From: "Kevin Richards" <mg.carma@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:42:54 -0400
I did a little research and started cold calling W Emery people in New
Jersey.

I had made about six calls when I happened upon a WL Emery in Sea Girt, NJ.

Funny story, I almost finished on the phone with this guy, he said, "yep, I
never owned an MG", sorry I can't help you.
Then I asked if he knew any other "Emerys" who might have worked at
Princeton.

Sure enough, he said
"there was this guy ....weirdest thing....the town he lived in sent me a
property tax bill from Maine about ten years ago."
"It was a bill from my home town of Eastport Maine, they sent it to me because
there was only one Walter Emery in
Eastport, so I got the bill"
So, he asked his sister in law, who still lived in Eastport, and it turned out
that they had met the week before. So WL Emery and WE Emery met on the
strangest of circumstances, and pointed me in the right direction.

A quick Yahoo search revealed the same Walter Emery in Eastport Maine.
I gave him a ring and sure enough he was there, we chatted about the car, and
his other cars he owned,
He was an employee and former director of Machinist shops of Princeton for 32
years. Ex RAF pilot, Ex Rolls Royce engine machinist from WWII, Ex racer, Ex
hot rodder who lost his license three times for speeding in New jersey.

He said he was the only guy at Princeton who drove a  Rolls Royce Silver
Shadow to work every day.

We had a nice chat, but he has since lost his drivers license secondary to
macular degeneration. Very sad, and I quote " It is like having your legs
amputated"

So, whoever might be reading this thread on the list, please take a drive in
your MGA for Walter Emery.

Better yet, if you live near Eastport, Maine, why not drop him a line.
His number is in the book and I am sure he would be delighted to go for a spin
in your MG.

thanks so much.
cheers
Kevin