canada trip-helpers?

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: canada trip-helpers?
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 19:48:29 -0500
My wife and daughter have decided to go to New York City to do the tourist
thing so my 21 year old son and I are taking the 67B to Canada camping for a
week or so. We will be leaving Friday AM. From NE Missouri we will be
catching I35 to Duluth MN, then 53 to International Falls and 71 to the
Sioux Narrows area on Lake of the Woods, Ontario. A few days there then
towards Winnipeg for a few days, then probably head straight south on I29 to
Omaha/Council Bluffs and across Iowa back home. Haven't had any problems
with the 67, but could use any helpers names/phone#/city along the route
that might be willing to help in a pinch.
We have travelled extensively in the Caribbean and Central America but have
never been to Canada and could use any advise that anyone has to offer,
especially:
    Where is the best place to exchange US dollars for Canadian and is there
anything I should beware of? We are  4 hours from a major city, so will be
unable to do this locally.  I surely can use the MasterCard in Canada, but
will need local cash for groceries/campground/gas/etc. I don't use a ATM
card enough to even know which one I have, Cirrus I think.
Neither of us are fisherman, but we will be taking a small amount of
equipment and maybe rent a boat for a day-suggestions on fishing equipment
or boating on Lake of the Woods?
Has anyone done any white water rafting in this area, if so do you have a
contact?
As my dad always says "take everyones advise, then sort out what you can
use".
Thanks,
Monte
          79B, Carmine