Re: Dot 3 or 4?

To: MonteMorris <mmorris@nemr.net>
Subject: Re: Dot 3 or 4?
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:46:58 -0500
That's not a good thing, Monte.

DOT3 is reported to eat the rubber of british car brakes. You might
need to replace all the rubber (redo the calipers again, new hoses, new
rubber for the cylinders).

Wait for the heavy weights on this. A short time might not be horrible.

I had a friend with a TR4 in college that did that. He left the car at
home and had to go back on weekends to fix it. Opps. I don't know how
long he drove it until it started leaking.

I've seen DOT4 in regular autoparts store, but never used it. I've
always gone and got Castrol LMA.

There is conflicting word that DOT5.1 (which isn't an official standard,
I'm led to believe) is compatible with DOT4. And it's not Silicon
either. Which makes it more confusing.

I wouldn't drive the car until the big guys (Barney, Kelvin, Paul, Paul,
et al) weigh in.

Paul.

--
    ______