Re: OT: Power of the the Auction

To: "MG List Postings" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OT: Power of the the Auction
From: "Dean T. Lake" <dtlake@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 08:31:51 -0400
I've seen this same syndrome at country auctions and flea markets.  It is
easy for some folks to be taken by the impulse to purchase items that at
first seem well-priced.  It is funny when you realize that the "bargain"
price on some item is basically the same as regular retail - or even higher!
We, in my family, frequent flea markets and the like.  It took a while to
learn that it is best not to buy items readily available in retail trade
unless you are certain of the typical price.  I have seen the same thing at
Price Club - every now and then the massive quantity doesn't actually get
you a significant price break!  In the case of MG parts, we have some
wonderful reference material in the form of Moss, VB, Proper MG, Motorhead
and other catalogues.  The first thing I look at when considering a used MG
part is the retail and sale prices from my regular suppliers.  Sometimes it
is worth a few dollars more to get the known quantity of a new item and to
get it from a source that gives you easier recourse when things are wrong.
By the way, a great source for used parts from a reliable outfit is
Motorhead.  They have recently improved the accessibility of their extensive
inventory and, in my experience, will stand behind what they sell new or
used.  You will sometimes need to be patient for turnaround, but they are a
good source for hard-to-get parts, so are at least worth a toll-free call.
Someone was recently inquiring about breaker yards - I should have mentioned
it then

Cheers,

Dean