Manifold Gasket

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Manifold Gasket
From: "J. Barry Waterland" <artforu@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 13:36:53 -0700
I'm just about to replace the manifold gasket on my 77B, and wondered about
using a gasket compound. I have never use one before on this, but would be
interested in the thoughts of the group.

Incidentally, I was reminded of a couple of things as I removed the manifold
this morning that might be worth passing on.

When I first bought the car, on hot (southern California) days it would
occasionally suffer from vapor lock when starting again while still hot. I
realized that the PO had left off the heat shield (in his "wisdom"), and
replacing it fixed the problem permanently.

Second thought was that I had suffered from a couple of exhaust manifold to
catalytic converter gasket failures. As most of you will know, this is real
pain of a job, so the third time it happened I made a 1/16" thick copper
gasket, and then annealed it over the kitchen gas ring. By the way, those
"crow's foot" wrenches are great for reaching those impossible nuts.

Barry Waterland
Duarte, CA
1977 MGB Roadster