LIGHTS

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: LIGHTS
From: "Mary Kreeger" <marmail@sound.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 08:09:44 -0500
IDEAS PLEASE
Just purchased a terrific '73B and switched out the lights "stalk" with a new
one because the old one was extraordinarily loose.  The only way we could keep
the headlamps "on" was to engage the high beams.  Our guess was the
micro-processors inside the stalk were no longer making proper contact --- and
the only way to keep the regular headlamps "on" was to slightly pull the stalk
toward you and hold it.

We replaced the headlamps with some Hellas we had (H4 sealed beam
replacements) because they were brighter and everything was great --  for a
couple days.  Now we're back to the beginning -- the headlamps won't stay on
unless you're using the high beams -- and, if you slightly pull the stalk
toward you and hold it, the regular lights will stay on....

The additional malady is that the brake lights aren't working.  All the other
lights (backup lights, regular tail lights and turn signals) are working
fine.

Here's what's been checked so far:  (1) traced all the green wires; (2)
cleaned all connections with oxidation solvent; and (3) checked relay (by
trying to short across the two lines --  will try the volt meter next once we
get it back from the barn where we're restoring another car).

Thanks.

Mary