LIGHTS (Dimmer Switch)

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: LIGHTS (Dimmer Switch)
From: "Christian, Skip" <ChristianWL@navair.navy.mil>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 08:34:21 -0400
Mary,

        I had exactly the same problem.  Old turn signal/dimmer switch went
bad.  Bought new one from Xxxx.  Installed it and it worked fine with the
DOT sealed beam headlights.  However, after installing European Carello
headlights (80/120 watt bulbs, I think), the low beams started going off
after about 15 min of use.  The time till going off gradually got shorter
until the low beams wouldn't come on at all (high beam & turn signals worked
fine).  The low beam would work if the stalk was pulled back a little (but
not enough to turn on the high beams).
        The problem turned out to be a "made in China switch" with a too
thin copper (brass ?) contact for the low beam that actually deformed under
the heat generated by the high wattage headlights.  This contact can bee
seen by looking into the switch where the stalks go into the case; if I
remember right, its the first contact you see.  Maybe by bending the contact
slightly, you can make the switch work again.
        I ended up buying a genuine "Lucas" (or was it Smiths??) switch from
Motorhead (they have a web site) and so far, the Lucas switch is working
fine (about 3 months).  The bad news with the Lucas switch is the "classic"
MG clunking sound the switch makes when the turn signals are activated :)

Good Luck,  Skip
'74 MGB