Re: MGC Tires

To: rareisse@postoffice.worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: MGC Tires
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 09:43:27 EDT
rareisse@postoffice.worldnet.att.net writes:

> When my car was redone about a few years ago, we found that Sears was still
>
> seeeling tires for the old VW bug, which were the same size and spec as the
> tires for the C.  Just a thought.

Yes, the 165 x 15 are always an option. I wanted to find suitably rated
tires, though. This particular MGC tops out around 130 mph, and while the
chances
of doing much high speed work is small, I hate to under-tire a car.

I've cruised well above the ton on this one in the wide open countryside many
times, and looking at the perishing setting in on the old Michelin ZX's that
are on it, disinclines me to any repeat without suitable rubber.

I went through the same thing last year with my old Lamborghini - people
wanting to sell me low rated all season truck tires! Finally found one Pirelli
that turned out to be Z rated - more than I needed.

I guess I could always stick a set of Comp TAs off the TVR race car on it,
but they are also a few years old, and are also the R1 compound, meant for
racing, and probably wouldn't hold up too well.

The 165 tires are on the narrow side for the 5.5" rims I have on the MG (TR6
wires), but I guess I may have to consider going with them if I can't find
anything better.

Bill