MGCeeing

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGCeeing
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 11:51:00 EDT
I've been out and about with the C a bit lately.

A couple of things come to my attention (other than the exhaust note, which
is brutally loud - must figure out how to add a tip resonator or something. No
room for anything more elaborate, as the twin pipe set-up takes up all the
available space, but the header and free flow exhaust pay back big time in
terms
of power output, so I don't want to change that).

The C makes up in torque what you give up in quick revving - I often spin the
wheels backing out of the driveway when it is cold, as you either warm it up
well or give it a bit of stick to keep it going. I tell my wife that the long
black strips left on the asphalt are because of the old, hard tires......

I bloody nearly cut off half the flywheel on this engine, and while it will
pick up rpm much quicker than a stock C, it will never rival a 4 cylinder for
quick snappy gear-changes. The all synch box adds a bit to this - I like the
early non-synch when it comes to rowing through the gears. Funny comment on
automotive development - all the young guys with their Honda Civics haven't a
clue
what double clutching might be, while it was always a required skill with
OBCs.

The other thing that I notice (and had forgotten) is the much higher seating
position in the MGB/C than in the MGA. It's like the B was designed for people
5 feet tall, and anyone else is looking out just under the top rail of the
windshield. I have driven racing MGBs which have the seats dropped a few inches
between the tunnel and outer box section, and the seating done that way makes
you feel like you are sitting in, rather than on the car. I much prefer the
MGA seating. Does anyone else find this bothersome (the later seats may be
better - it's been a long time since I've ridden in a late model CBB, and I try
avoid contact with any RB cars for fear it might be contagious)?

Had an MGB GT V-8 at our local car show yesterday, the nice version, with
chrome bumpers, converted to LHD. It gave rise to an interesting conversation
with another entrant. He has a B roadster (although it is really a drophead
coupe
or convertible, depending on top type, but everyone insists on calling them
roadsters even though there isn't a side curtain in sight).

He wants to install a Rover V-8 in his B. I asked him why the choice of
engine, and he replied that it was factory. I pointed out that the factory
never
made a B V-8 'roadster', so if he was already heading down that road to
non-originality, perhaps he should consider an alternative engine choice.

The GM 60 degree V6 makes a really good transplant in a B - use the late 3.4
model complete with engine management system and 5 speed, straight out of a
Camaro, and you have a very peppy and emissions legal car. With more power than
the BOP V8! You also have more room to work in the engine bay - the length of
that V6 block is about the same as the 4 cylinder MG motor - I have one of
each sitting side by side in my garage.

The other thing you can avoid is having a hoodscoop to clear the carb
(although this guy seemed to welcome the idea). I suggested he look for one of
the
reproduction fibreglass MGC bonnets if he had clearance problems, or that he
consider sourcing a factory B V-8 intake manifold and then converting it to
twin
2" SUs (lots of Rover 2000TC donors around). With the GM engine, the injection
intake fits under the stock hood.....

Bill