Re: Lucas Electrical Emergency Team [way OT warning]

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lucas Electrical Emergency Team [way OT warning]
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 16:49:36 -0700
I'm blaming it on this manical push for across-the-board "deregulation".
Back when utilities were publicly-regulated monopolies, they could apply to
raise rates when necessary for infrastructure improvements. And they could
also get long-term financing by issuing bonds at advantageous rates, since
they were considered mature, stable entities.

Now that this ludicrous "free market" dogma has become entrenched, the
newly-deregulated utilities are supposed to be in competition, and the
competition, as always, is about price. Guess what? That means
infrastructure is an expense against the bottom line. So is maintenance, and
customer service. A few more years of this free market religion and we'll be
lucky to have power 2 days a week, like the collapsing Soviet Union. Moral?
Extremist positions are not optimal solutions in the real world.

End of rant.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149