MGB "loading up"?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB "loading up"?
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 11:41:40 -0700 (PDT)
I have a curious problem with my 1971 MGB.  When it's
hot out (doesn't seem to do it in the evening, only in
the heat of the day), and the car has been idling for
a while or gets stuck in slow moving traffic, it
starts running REALLY rough.  Popping (like it's real
rich again) and sputtering, and it won't pull cleanly
through the rev range.  The idle drops way down and
the whole thing feels like it's not going to make it
home...

I'm pretty sure it's not starved of fuel, because it
almost feels like it "loading up", and when I'm
revving the engine at idle to keep it from stalling it
will occasionally backfire and spit out a little black
cloud behind.  This suspicion is compounded by the
fact that once I get out of traffic and can give it an
"italian tune-up" and blast along at high revs, it
clears up and runs great again.

I always get home with the car running fine, and when
I pull the plugs, they look okay, but that could be
because they've "cleared" already.  Any ideas?

I'm wondering if this could be related to the fact
that I have NOT desmogged the car as I said I was
going to do - only removed the belt to the air pump.
Also, I recently installed a sport coil and regapped
the plugs wider.

Any thoughts on where I should start?

=====
Paul Misencik