Re: MGB Brake Drum Removal

To: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB Brake Drum Removal
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:17:02 +0100
Was it rust?  The drums often bind.  If the shoes have worn a groove in the
drum that will stop them coming off without slacking off the adjuster, but
they can still be a 'bind' even then or with new drums.  I use a screw
driver to lever between the backplate and the drum, then hit the end of the
axle shaft with a weighted nylon hammer, results in a combination of shock,
force and inertia to free the drum.  Regular maintenance is the answer, I do
mine every 3k.  Greasing the half-shaft flange is not a good idea, the
combination of heat and centrifugal force will tend to move it onto the drum
surface.

PaulH.