Re: Generator or alternator

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Generator or alternator
From: <n5bgy@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:35:30 -0500
The generator really can't handle charging the battery from the starter's
initial draw, or the ignition system's draw while running, unless you drive
regularly over 5-10 miles a day and at revs consistently over 2500, if you
use the lights, wipers, or heater blower much.  Trust me on this, I have 7
years of English Ford Anglia (Lucas C40 dynamo just like the 62-67 MGB)
experience to back me up!  I had to charge the darn thing weekly at home in
normal city driving, just to keep the battery from going flat.

The radio draw is a nit in reality (2-3 Amps max, 1-2 average, out of the
generator's max rate of 22 Amps), so a radio shouldn't really drive the
charging equipment decision.  Whether you're having to recharge the battery
periodically to keep it up to snuff is a definite consideration...although,
if you're currently original-equipment POSITIVE EARTH (ground), you'll have
to do something to allow the radio (NEGATIVE EARTH usually) to work without
letting all its smoke out.  You either have to repolarize the generator (and
swap anything polarity sensitive like the electronic tach to negative
earth), or buy a DC-DC converty thingy that takes in -12V referenced to
earth (ground) and turns it into +12V.

As for the swap, there are mechanical (mounting) considerations, and the
same polarity considerations as converting a generator system to negative
earth.  I converted my '67 MGB to an alternator (Mitubishi from a '91 Ford
Tempo) and negative earth last summer when I had the engine out for an
overhaul.  I "rolled my own" complete with new brackets and wiring, but
there are simpler ways.  Here's a link to a conversion article...

http://www.mgbexperience.com/service/delco.html

And another...

http://hometown.aol.com/idbritcars/boschAlt.html

And I'll bet there are others out there!  Reliability does go up markedly
with the correct alternator, since you're eliminating a pair of honking big
brushes and a segmented commutator, all carrying 22 Amps, and replacing them
with a set of silicon diodes and a small pair of field excitation brushes
(and a pair of smooth slip rings).  Enjoy!

F. J. (Lane) MacFarlane
1967 MGB!