Re: Dashboard

To: "Randy Widman" <rwidman@woh.rr.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dashboard
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 12:03:07 -0600
Randy,

This job is not near as bad as it sounds. There is some cutting involved
for gauges and vents that should be done slowly so as not to overcut and
leave a mark. Same applies to the foam. You want to install the dash cover
over the foam/metal assembly and check for fit before you use adhesive.

On my 72B, I did some foam cutting but not too much. There are two foam
areas - the harder foam that is part of the actual metal dash backing. And
the softer foam that comes with the dash cover. In separating the old
cover, I did have to cut away some of its foam that stuck to the harder
metal dash backing foam. But the real cutting came at the top/rear of the
dash cover area where the fabric bends over under where it connects to the
metal overhang on the car. I tried some cutting and some sanding on that
area but still spent less than an hour on it.

Just keep fitting and a little bit of foam shaving until you have a good
fit, be careful not to overcut, and use the adhesive once you have a good fit.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B