Re: VDO gauges

To: <John.Deikis@med.va.gov>, <mgs@autox.team.net>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: VDO gauges
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 01:01:04 -0400
At the time I bought gauges I wanted to emulate the dash it my Impreza, it
used white opaque gauge faces with backlighting in the numerals and pointer
only.  In the day, the gauges were white with black numerals, at night they
were black with green numerals.  I loved the look and the visibility.  VDO
was just releasing the Vision series gauges that worked this way, but used a
black face.  Autometer said they had a series coming but that they weren't
done yet.  I prefer Autometer, as well, but in order to get what I wanted I
had to buy VDO.  I think I have found someone to warrantee my tach, but I
doubt that I will ever buy another VDO gauge again.

When I received my gauges I had to recalibrate the mechanical temp gauge as
it was 15deg high, I think it may still be 5deg high but I'll live with it.
The manual for my tach says that it has a trim pot on the back of it that
can adjust reading from 30% to 100%.  It seems to me that if they need that
much adjustability that they aren't building an accurate gauge to begin
with.  I don't think that I went into details about the problem with my
tach, but the coil lead to the tach is arching to the circuit board
internally, as of yesterday it no longer reads at all.

James Nazarian
71 MGB Tourer
71 MGBGT V8
85 Dodge Ram