RE: I want to learn from your experience

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: I want to learn from your experience
From: "Larry list account" <list@marketvalue.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 17:41:23 -0600
Larry,

On an engine used for racing, NOT a street prepared car:

1)  I would nitride the cam.
2)  I would Plastigauge the bearings, don't believe the machinist.
3)  I would have the crank index ground.
4)  I would not mill the head any more than necessary to get it flat.
5)  I would cc the head.
6)  I would use all Felpro or Payen gaskets.
7)  I would use Teflon wrist pin buttons.
8)  If you go over 6000 rpm regularly I'd use forged pistons
9)  If you go over 7000 rpm regularly I'd use steel rods (Carrillo or
Pouder)
10) I would use Total Seal ring.
11) I would use all ARP bolts and nuts.
12) I would use tri-metal main and rod bearings.
13) I would Magnaflux the crank and rods.
14) I would Magnaflux and pressure check the head.
15) I would use an adjustable timing gear.
16) I would have everything balanced; rods, pistons, crank, flywheel and
clutch cover.
17) I would assemble it myself (way to many disasters with other
assemblers).
18) I would use a larger baffled oil pan.
19) I would brake it in with 20w50 Castrol.
20) I would race it with synthetic oil.

Larry Hoy