Never mind - [Fwd: wheel bearing retaining nut - where did it

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Never mind - [Fwd: wheel bearing retaining nut - where did it
From: "Galen Work" <gwork@who-ville.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 21:25:04 -0400 (EDT)
My apologies - I hadn't noticed the dust cap on the parts list or
diagrams.  It is obviously missing on the opposite side, thus my surprise
when I stumbled onto it.

Galen

Subject: wheel bearing retaining nut - where did it go?
From:    "Galen Work" <gwork@who-ville.net>
Date:    Sat, October 11, 2003 9:16 pm
To:      mgs@autox.team.net

  I need to remove the (wire wheel) hub on the front left of my (late) `64
MGB. The right one is fine,...shims, bearings, retaining washer, nut. When
I took the left wheel off, I looked down the hub, I saw nothing like what
I expected. Instead of the nut with pin through it, there is some sort of
cap with a single 1/4" threaded post coming out the center an inch or so.
There isn't anything on the post. The "cap" nearly fills the entire width
of the inside of the hub. There are no splines, holes, or other
distinguishing marks on the cap inside the hub.

So, what is this thing in the hub and more importantly, how do I get it
out of there?

Thanks much for any assistance!

Galen