RE: MGB oiling problems?

To: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: MGB oiling problems?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:05:17 -0700
Paul:

        The oil pump drive gear problems only appear on very high reving B
series engines where the internal stresses and oil control become very
difficult to understand when the only evidence is a pile of broken pieces.  The
standard oil pump drive when installed correctly will not give you any problems
in your intended application.

        I discussed this issue with Kent Prather at MG2003 during a class on
engine building and he was of the opinion that the oil pump drive gear is not a
problem if care is taken to shim the gear correctly.  Of course what he
determines to be correctly at 8000 rpm is a Kent Prather secret.

Kelvin.