Re: [heater]

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [heater]
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:56:06 -0800
Fine adjustments, forsooth. The main problem with the valve is not flow, but
the fact that the silly knob/cable arrangement is incapable of managing the
full range of valve adjustment from open to closed. Depending on how one
adjusts the cable, you have available either the range from fully closed to
3/4 open, or the range from 1/4 open to fully open. In a moderate climate,
readjusting the cable twice a year may be all that is necessary, everything
else being equal.

Glen, if you are getting nothing out of your heater, it's not the design of
the valve at fault. Assuming the valve itself isn't plugged (this is fairly
common), the heater core is not clogged, and the water passages in general
are in good shape, even 3/4 flow is sufficient to heat the footwells to
unbearable temperatures, with the engine at normal operating temperature (by
this I mean 180-190).

I always suspect the most common problem is running a 165 degree thermostat
-- by the time the water has circulated through the uninsulated hose, its
effect on the cold ambient air from the cowl vent is less than spectacular.
Of course, in truly cold circumstances (not encountered here in coastal
California), the engine will never reach even 165. An oil cooler cover or a
partial radiator cover may be necessary.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149