Re: Front Cross Member Question - Explanation

To: "Christian, Wellner L. CIV COMNAVAIRSYSCOMPATUXENTRIVERMD AIR
Subject: Re: Front Cross Member Question - Explanation
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 16:45:57 -0000
Almost certainly not a conscious decision as the changed cross-member
occurred from the start of rubber bumper provision in September 74, which
included numerous bodyshell changes, including rear spring front hangers,
indicated in both Clausager and the Leyland Parts List.  It was these that
gave the higher ride-height at the rear as much as the springs.  The big
overriders came in Jan 74.  However the rubber bumper front crossmember and
rear hangers were used on all V8s from April 73 to give 0.5" higher ride
height, together with other changes on rubber bumper 4-cylinder cars it gave
1 1/2" increase.  So the modified cross-member was around for some time
before rubber bumpers.  Replacement rear springs are no indication as these
are notorious for giving a far greater height than they should.  As to what
you have, you will have to compare it with an 'as early as possible' car and
an 'as late as possible' car, taking comparative measurements.  Someone
else's measurements may not be taken in exactly the same way as yours, no
matter how hard you try to describe them.  I believe the main difference is
a thicker plate on top of the member where it sits under the chassis rails,
plus different rack mounting brackets.  Both should be relatively easy to
measure in situ.