RE: Read Bumper Bar

To: "ronking" <ronking@sbcglobal.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Read Bumper Bar
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 13:58:46 -0800
Ron:

The reproduction MGB front and rear bumper bars were only made by one company,
and it was not Moss.  The quality and fit of the front bumper has been pretty
good, with a few exceptions where plating got shoddy.  The rear of the bumper
is not painted, and this should be done to improve longevity.

The repro rear bumper had ends that were not cut per original, so you could
always tell a repro from original.  Again plating and stamping quality were
usually pretty good, but the inside should really be painted to ensure
longevity.  The last samples I saw of this non-Moss manufactured product were
pretty poor with tooling marks and flaking chrome
Because of these quality concerns Moss Motors invested in tooling for their own
version of the rear bumper.  These just came into stock and I have not had a
chance to look at them.  Fingers crossed that both the end shaping and chrome
quality meet high standards.

This is brand new news, so please do not equate the previous non-Moss Motors
manufactured rear bumpers to the new ones.  Following customer complaints, from
the early 90s chrome items that Moss Motors has manufactured are required to
meet stringent ASTM standards.

Hope this clarifies.

Kelvin.