RE: Heater installation

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Heater installation
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 03:56:29 -0600
At 12:42 PM 11/10/03 -0600, Chuck Renner wrote:
> > .... it would be nice if someone with a later model car (hopefully with
> the heater already out) could take a picture and measurements of the
> "bulkhead slot" to show the factory configuration, ....
>
>Barney, I can take a shot of the arrangement in my '79.

We now have a nice resolution to a sticky problem and a few more footnotes
for installing the MGB heater box.  After 14 years of production, the MGB
body stamping was changed for the 1977 model year (June 1976).  Better late
than never?

Chuck Renner has sent some pictures of the heater well area on his 1979 MGB
to show the differences.  After June 1976 there is a large slot in the
bulkhead for passage of the heater control cable.  These pictures show
where the slot can be cut in earlier cars to make the heater installation
MUCH easier.  See photos and updated notes here:
http://chicagolandmgclub.com/photos/b_heater
Scroll to the bottom of the page for the recent photos and notes.

You may also notice a deep indent in the bulkhead for the post-1976 MGB
which should allow easier compression of the thick rubber gasket pad during
installation.  This doesn't help with the earlier cars, but Barrie Robinson
assures me that the heater went into his earlier MGB a lot easier just by
cutting the cable clearance slot in the bulkhead.  That modification is
shown one step higher on the same web page.  And yes, I suppose the KY
Jelly would help too (as long as you can explain to your S.O. why you carry
that stuff in your toolbox).

Barney Gaylord
Editor and Webmaster
Chicagoland MG Club