RE: stuck key

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: stuck key
From: "Gordie's Garage" <mg_garage@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 19:16:38 -0500
Hmmm, sounds like  what happened to me when I was in Mackinaw City this fall
with the "new" BGT.  My key could be removed, but wouldn't turn.  Turned out
key just finally worn down too far to work.  What I had to do was remove the
switch from the dash, then remove the lock cyl itself, at which point you
can re-install the switch and use a stubby flathead screwdriver as a 'key'
until you procure a new lock cyl and key(s).  New cyl slid right in without
removing the switch a second time.
I was pretty lucky though, I was @ 350mi from home, 9:30 pm in a parking lot
with a '69 license plate (not registered to any car) and I couldn't have
even proven that I owned the car as I hadn't received the title yet!  It was
a pretty quick hotwire job to get back to the cottage.

Safety Fast!
Gordie Bird
62 MGA
67 BGT now with legal '67 plate and all