Re: steering column bushings

To: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: steering column bushings
From: "mgamgb" <mgamgb@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 21:50:31 +1300
It seems the original plastic is injected through the holes in the outer
part during manufacture rather than being a 'part' as such. This takes up
the slack between the inner and outer, and as well the plastic that remains
in the holes in the outer section provides a connection to keep the two
together during the assembly process, but will shear off easily in the event
of a crash.

A fix that I have heard of is to coat the inner with a smear of silicon
grease followed by a coating of builders panel adhesive, and then reasemble.

Theory is that the adhesive fills the gap between the inner and outer, while
the silicon grease provides a slip layer.

The plastic on my shaft was ok, so I didnt need to 'fix' it. If I did need
to use the grease/sadhesive method, I would be very tempted to test to see
if the sections did indeed slide on each other before putting back in the
car.

Ian f