Introduction

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Introduction
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 19:53:47 -0500
Hello all,
I just joined the list yesterday and would like to introduce myself.
My name is Rich Chrysler and I have recently begun the complete restoration
of a '66 Series 1 MGB roadster, c/w overdrive gearbox, wire wheels, and
works hardtop. The car is now fairly sound with original inner sills, though
we have replaced the outer rocker panels and the main floors. New Heritage
front wings, reskinned doors, and partial rear quarters, along with misc.
other small metal repairs such as battery boxes, etc. now result in a clean
straight car that is now presently jobbed out for final prep and paintwork.
Meanwhile, the engine has been fully reworked, balanced, machine work is
done, and I'm assembling the unit.
While I become more involved in this car I am finding a relative lack of
accurate information in how the car goes together. By this I mean there
doesn't seem to be a concise set of guidelines or standards developed for
the early cars containing notes on details about the car.
I have been involved in the Austin Healey National Concours Committee since
its formation in the late 1980's and we have evolved a book of guidelines
dealing with all the series, and almost all the components that make up the
cars, by category and area.
For instance, one can check in the "engine" chapter and read exactly what
parts of a given series were painted engine colour, and what parts were
whatever other colours or finishes.
On this 18GB series engine I have found evidence of the dark red engine
paint on the distributor body and on the hot water valve mounted to the side
of the cylinder head, on the engine side of the rubber engine mounts, etc.
Can I trust these observations or are they the remains of some previous
owner's overzealous applications of paint?
As I proceed through this car, I want to do the best job possible.
This car will be trimmed in red, and I find no availability of coloured
rubber sill and floor mats as per original. Surely there must be enough
demand for these items around the world??
Is there anything yet existing for the thousands of owners worldwide whose
time has come and want to "get it right"?
Sorry to be a "newbee" stirring things up with so many questions.
Rich Chrysler
Mt. Hope, Ontario, Canada