Re: 16 miliamps drain

To: "Hans Duinhoven" <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>,
Subject: Re: 16 miliamps drain
From: "Rick Lindsay" <rolindsay@stoolhead.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:05:09 -0500
Hans wrote,
> Where are 16 miliamps continuous current drain
> going to when the car is standing still and
> everything switched off.

16mA is a tiny current load.  That relates to
0.016 amps.  Remember, most LBC fuses are in the
5A to 30A range.  Loads that small are not unlike
what is seen by radio station memory and the
memory in EMS modern computers.  I mean, we're
talking the kind of load that can come from a
semi-conductive corrosion between connectors.
I'd look to that for possible solutions.

As for a technique?  Disconnect the battery
and read resistance between the hot lead and ground.  R=E/I where R is
resistance, E is voltage
or 12.0 and I is current in amps, or 0.016A.
Then, pull one fuse at a time and watch for the
resistance to increase to infinity.  That will
identify the location of the load.  If the
resistance doesn't drop, your load is in one of
the unfused circuits.  That procedure will help
you pin it down.  From there, you use the same
logic but go from component to component,
unplugging one at a time like you did the fuses.

Good luck!

rick / Tulsa