Re: ref 80's Jag

To: "Carl French" <leylandauto@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: ref 80's Jag
From: "Rick Lindsay" <rolindsay@stoolhead.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 8:47:14 -0500
Carl wrote,
> I just got an 84 XJ given to me that looks
> driveable with a small bit of work (sat for 1.5
> years). I am looking for similar thoughts also.
> Carl

...and Bill wrote,
> I've found an 83 Jaguar XJ6 at a used car lot.

Guys, I have owned Jags of many species (an XJ6,
multiple XJ-S, the old S-type, an E-type plus I
have worked on many others.   They are fine cars
but they are BBCs (that like LBCs but BIG).  Like
our LBCs, if they are not maintained, the fall
apart in the driveway.  The trick is to,
(1) maintain them, as opposed to repair them, and
(2) repair them correctly when they do break.
Don't just apply a BandAid.
Do that and they will just keep on going.

With all that in mind, if you buy a Jag from a
lot where you don't know how it was maintained,
you can expect to need to do repairs.  Factor that
into your offering price and initial reliability
requirements and you will do fine.  Personally, I
prefer the Series III XJ6 over the square one.
And if you can handle a little less room, the V12
XJ-S is a fantastic car.  That V12 is smooth as
silk.  It's pretty bullet proof too.

A Series III XJ6 should be WELL under $10k and
a really nice XJ-S should be only a few shecles
more.

...or you could buy a newer S-type Jag (a.k.a.,
Taurus.)  :-P

Two cents please...

rick / tulsa