Re: XPAG camshaft & lifters

To: Skip Kelsey <kelsey@shadetreemotors.com>
Subject: Re: XPAG camshaft & lifters
From: Bud Krueger <budkrueger@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 20:32:02 -0500
Skip,

    What's your view of this 'problem' from TSO?  The engine's
performing so beautifully that I'd hate to think of tearing it down. I
guess that, if there is a lobe lubrication problem, it would show up as
insufficient lift and performance would suffer.  Solving it would
require a new camshaft and lifters.  Guess I'll take the attitude, 'if
it ain't broke, don't fix it', and wait until something shows up.

Bud

Skip Kelsey wrote:

> Bud:
>

> I aquired some stock " cast iron"cams form England some months ago.
> Normally, stock cams are "Steel", and must use "chilled Iron " lifters.
> These have more of a stock base circle. They will work with either
> stock "chilled iron" lifters or "hardenable iron lifters. I still have
> three left. two are stock, and one was accidentally given a mild
> performance grind by "Elgin Cams" in Redwood City, Ca. I had sent it
> over to be profild and they misunderstood.
>

> Skip Kelsey.......................................................
>

> At 01:50 PM 1/18/2004 -0500, Bud Krueger wrote:
>
>> The extra 'quality assurance' steps are fine, but they don't relate
>> to the problem (?) pointed out in TSO.  It indicates that, even with
>> perfect tappets, the design is such as to allow improper lubrication
>> for the lobes on a modern camshaft with the larger lobe base circle.
>> Nowhere in the Moss paper does it mention the 'oil hole' issue.  Is
>> it really a problem?
>>
>>  About a year ago I installed a new camshaft when rebuilding my
>> engine.  The camshaft (Moss 451-260), purchased from JustBrits,  is
>> the Crane camshaft with the larger lobe base circle.  I automatically
>> installed a new set of tappets (Moss 433-308) that I bought from Skip
>> Kelsey.  Knowing Skip, I doubt very seriously that I will be
>> experiencing any manufacturing issue problems with the tappets. Can
>> one buy a new camshaft for an XPAG that still uses the small cam circle?
>> Not from Crane.
>>
>> Bud Krueger
>> 52TD
>>

>> Gene Gillam wrote:

>>> camshafts of larger-than-original cam circle when installed with
>>> certain
>>> lifters.  Has anyone opened an engine since reading that article to see