Re: Required Reading for Car Owners ;-)

To: "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Required Reading for Car Owners ;-)
From: "Norm" <nsippel@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:41:22 -0500
Re.
> The rollbar providers her with something to hold onto when the action
> starts (hmm, is this a racing thread???).

Kai says,
"Yes, but nothing says poseur like a roll bar in an otherwise stock looking
and road driven convertible... so the number of women who would otherwise
define your MG as a "cute little sports car" is dramatically reduced due to
the owner's judgment of what they believe to be a tasteful addition to their
car's aesthetic appeal.  When in reality, a rollbar is merely a fashion
accessory for men... and in my opinion, not a very chic one."

Kai:

Perhaps if you had helped upright an MGB off of an unconscious driver as I
once did, you would have a different opinion of roll bars.  It's one of the
reasons I have a roll bar in my "otherwise stock looking and road driven
convertible" MGB.  The other is that SVRA, HSR, & other vintage racing
organizations require it when I race my "otherwise stock looking and road
driven convertible" MGB.  And, I'm not the only one who drives their vintage
race car on the street.  (You can't always tell a book by its cover or a car
by its accessories.)

The MGB I helped upright had rolled over on a twisty Vermont road.  The car
was upside down.  The windshield posts had done nothing to keep it from
flattening to the ground.  When the ambulance crew arrived, I continued on my
journey.  So, I don't know if the driver survived.  But, it taught me a lesson
- a properly installed roll bar could have saved his life or prevented serious
injury.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB