RE: GPS

Subject: RE: GPS
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:28:15 -0600
> One note here.  GPS units are among Cell phones and radios that are
> classified as "devices that send or receive a signal."  In
> other words,
> they are not allowed on commercial airlines flights.  In fact, Alaska
> Airlines mentions them in particular as something that is to
> remain off
> for the duration of the flight.

Actually, many airlines take the official position that it's up to the
captain of the aircraft whether or not to allow the use of a GPS device.
I used to work for Lowrance, who makes the Lowrance and Eagle lines (so
you should look at their stuff too).  As a result, I pretty much had a
unit with me whenever I flew or drove anywhere.

So in any event, you should always try to ask the captain directly.  If
you ask the flight attendant, they may just say 'no' because it's
easier.  A few years back, before people were familiar with GPS
receivers, the most common question you'd get from a flight attendant
was, "Is that a cell phone?"  When you told them 'no', they either
didn't have any further interest, or if they weren't busy, would sit
down and look over your shoulder.

More info on the airlines:

http://gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm

and