Re: Clutch install 78 MGB ("bang for buck" mods.)

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch install 78 MGB ("bang for buck" mods.)
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 20:55:12 -0500
----- Original Message -----
> Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 22:21:11 -0600
> From: Jp Plank <moonshine327@juno.com>
> Subject: Clutch install 78 MGB

> is there anything I could do to help the performance of the car?  I've
> seen webber carb conversions, headers, exhaust systems, ignition
> upgrades, and such...Is there any merit to doing any of these?  What are
> the best  "bang for the buck" modifications for a street driven MGB.

> Jp Plank

IMO, the best "bang for the buck" is the dual SU's & stock exhaust manifold
that goes with the SU intake manifold. Webers may get bragging points but
you'll not win the "bang for the buck" contest. Look for some used parts on
eBay and rebuild the carbs - you'll be all set for 1/2 (or less) the cost a
Weber.

It would also probably be worth the investment to install a good 'street'
camshaft. I've read that the stock camshafts on the later models were not of
the best quality. I know that it was in bad shape on the engine I rebuilt
for our '78 MGB.

I bought my engine parts and received good advice & service here:
http://www.brittek.com/

Eric
Mebane, NC