Re: "reply to" address.

To: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Subject: Re: "reply to" address.
From: Aaron Whiteman <aaronw@wsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:24:07 -0800
On Feb 4, 2004, at 2:19 PM, Rocky Frisco wrote:

> This is the only group I belong to that has the "Reply To" address set
> to the original sender. As a result, I sometimes accidentally send my
> reply to the original poster only, when my intentions were to send it
> to the group.

IMHO, the other groups you are subscribed to are "broken" (opinions are
like asses...).

> Is there a reason why it's set this way?

Yes.

If the mailing list is set to reply to the poster, a mistake in "reply"
would result in sending info meant for the list to an individual.  That
isn't fatal, the responder can always resend to the correct address.

If the mailing list is set to reply to the list, a mistake results in a
message meant for an individual going to the entire list.  oops.

So, reply-to-poster is a good "safe default."

As a side benefit, when somebody has a broken "I am away on vacation"
message, the list doesn't get swamped.

Just imagine the havoc that would ensue if Ed were to reply-to-list
rather than to poster (tongue-in-cheek, don't hurt me Ed).

> Might it be possible to set it to reply to the group?

Oh, please no!

Most email clients have a "reply to all" function, that will send the
message to the poster and cc the list.  I use this, and often remove
the poster from To: before I send.

--
Aaron Whiteman

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic.  -- Arthur C. Clarke

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type application/pkcs7-signature which
had a name of smime.p7s]