Re: Timing Cover Oil Seal

Subject: Re: Timing Cover Oil Seal
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:17:51 -0700
I have pulled out the transmission by itself several times. It saves some
work but it is not an easy task, particularly if its an o/d transmission
like mine. A British Leyland certified mechanic showed me this trick which
involved boring a one inch hole in the tranny bell housing. This allows
access to the bolts holding the clutch pressure plate on to the flywheel so
the plate can be released while the engine/transmission is still in place.
This is necessary to give the extra space needed for the tranny pilot shaft
to clear the engine. There is still some prying needed to separate the
engine and transmission - reinstallation is much easier. However, I would
think a non overdrive unit might come out much easier. On my cars, I would
do it this way if it is just transmission or clutch work but its only
slightly better than just pulling out the engine/tranny together - less
work but about half an hour that is a real bear and works best with two people.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B