Re: Question abour mgb VIN

To: DirtyLiLJeep@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Question abour mgb VIN
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:21:11 -0600
One quick hint here. Don't reply to just me. I don't know everything.
If you aren't on the list, get on mgs@autox.team.net. There are a ton
of people on this list. And they know a lot. There are at least 3 Paul's
(probably 4-5) on the list that know more than me. I don't want to
offend anyone by leaving them out, but there is a lot of knowledge to be
gained from this list.

There are other lists and BBSs as well. Skye Poier has an incredible
resource and BBS in http://www.mgbexperience.com. I don't do the BBS,
it was too hard to keep up.

There is also a Yahoo mail list, that has some good info. It also has
some 'aggressive' personalities that make it a little harder to read.

Last night I got your mail forwarded from someone else. It was a plea
for a reading from Clausager. It was a bit late, and I'd just got home
from a meeting, but I thought I could get the commission number quickly.
The other two numbers I didn't recognize off the top of my head.

I copied to the list, because, someone else will pick up the cause and
get this figured out.

DirtyLiLJeep@aol.com wrote:

> */Paul,/*
> Thank you for your prompt reply to my question.  Because I am so new to
> this hobby of restoration, I appreciate any help that I can get.  I am
> twenty-two and live in Nevada and recently purchased this MGB from a
> storage unit auction as parts.  When I got it home and starting putting
> it together it made a car.  Unfortunately, I am unable to find a VIN
> number on it and the Dept. of Motor Vehicles herein Nevada is trying to
> figure out how to assign this MGB car body a Vin number with the
> commission numbers.  Evidently the DMV's staff and supervisors are
> unfamiliar with your references "on page 121 of Clausager".  And since I
> am so new to this I don't even know what "Clausager" is either.    I

Clausager is the author of the book "Original MGB with MGC and
MGB GT V8". It is a definitive history of the production of MGBs and
derivatives.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1870979486/themgbexperienc/002-3088809-5622407

> thought I was buying a unit with Parts to a l966 MGB, but now it appears
> that I have purchased a vehicle body of an unknown year as far as the
> DMV is concerned. (as of today they told me that it definitely was not a
> 1966) They have done a vehicle inspection, but are not willing to assign

Right, it's not a 1966 MGB. It appears to be a 1969 MGC. At least that's
what I get from that commission number.

> a new VIN number until they are able to translate the "commission
> numbers" on the plates attached to the inside of the right fender under
> the hood.  To date,  they are telling me that this is their area of
> research.  So needless to say your answer is of significant relevance to
> my dilemma.
>
> Currently,  I am trying to decide if this is a roadster model or a
> touring model.  It has a luggage rack mounted on the trunk lid and there

There's no difference. I believe the official name from the factory is
tourer. I could be wrong.

> is one other odd thing about the vehicle, there are three windshield
> wipers that appear to be factory installed.  */My other question is,/*
> */do any of the MGB's within the 1962 to 69 year range have mention of
> why there would be three windshield wipers, and could this vehicle have
> been special ordered as a  MGB Roadster, with a Touring package
> added? /*

3 wipers became standard on all MGBs and 'Cs in the '67 area. Again,
the Clausager book can tell you the VIN number when this took place.
It's an invaluable resource. Though a Haynes manual and the Bentley
workshop manual will probably be more valuable for working on an MGB.
I'm not sure if those will cover the MGC. Probably not. There has got
to be books specifically for the MGC.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0856966231/themgbexperienc/002-3088809-5622407
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0837601150/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/002-3088809-5622407

I have peeled some paint and it also appears that the original
> color was the "Iris Blue".  It has wire spoke wheels and the door
> latches are PUSH handles, not Pull handle

That's odd, I thought that Iris blue only went up to about 1965. That is
a very nice and desirable color.

Pull handles only lasted the first couple years. They should never have
appeared on a 'C.

> */_YOU WROTE---_/*
> "The commission number oprefixes start with G for MG, followed by a
> number representing BMC's ADO project code number for each model - 23 on
> MGB, 52 on MGC and 75 on MGB GT V8. The last letter in the prefix is for
> body type, N for roadster or D on a GT.
>
> */ANOTHER Question:??? So if I have a 52MGC with a body type N what year
> range would that make this car?

The 52 tells us that it is an MGC, so that narrows it down to a
1967-1969. The P at the end tells us the body was made at the Pressed
Steel factory in Swindon, UK. Originally, that factory just made the
GT body.

So in my opinion you have a 1969 MGC. You probably have an aluminum hood
that has a bulge on the left and nose with a chrome strip.

> _YOU WROTE:_/*
> "Commission numbetrs were suffixed with a letter indicating where the
> body had been 'commissioned', as commission numbers were issued and the
> plates attached in the body finishing plant, rather than at Abigndon. On
> MGBs, the following commission number letter suffixes may be found:
>
> F Bodies Branch, Coventry (MGB roadsters 1962-69, early MGC roadsters)
> P Pressesd Steel, Swindon (MGB roadsters 1969-70, later MGC roadsters,
> MGTB and MGC GTs 1965-70)
> Z Pressed Steel, Cowley (all cars from 1970-76). "
>
> So to me this looks like number 1442 MGC made at Swindon.
>
>   */(ANOTHER QUESTION?? where is SWINDON?/*
>
> Paul.
>
> Also included with the vehicle is an engine that has been modified with
> twin Weber carburators and mounted, it is a Nissan 260 Z with other
> modifications to include an automatic transmission.
> Again, thank you soooo much for your help, it is most appreciated.

So you don't have the real engine. The 260Z engine is a good strong
engine. Probably lighter than the 'Cs engine, with the same power
output. Too bad it has an automatic. If I didn't have a 'B, and thought
I could live without a convertible. I might have a 240Z, that's one of
my dream cars.

Post those other numbers again, someone will recognize what they are.
If I had had more time last night, I might have figured them out.

Welcome to the wonderful world of British automotive. The MGC was an
unloved car in it's day, the engine was too heavy. However, because of
the low production numbers, they are more valuable than an MGB. Without
the MG engine however, it's not worth as much. That doesn't mean it
won't be a fun car.

There are a few MGCs on this list. Jim in Pennsylvania is working on one
right now. Sorry, I forgot his last name.

Got any pictures of it?

Paul.
'77B

--