Re: Australian F1 Grand Prix

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Australian F1 Grand Prix
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 06:36:11 +1030
Rick Lindsay wrote:

> And look for me!  I haven't received my track
> position assignment yet but I could be anywhere
> from the pits to the women's toilet.  I'll be
> the one in the marshal's get-up looking just like
> every other marshal on the circuit! :-P

Rick and all... this is one event where they supply your
overalls/pitsuits so most officials really do look the same - except for
some specified positions.  We do have different coloured "tabards"
(bibs) and caps for different duties.  I do communications/observer at a
flag point.

I fly out from Adelaide on Wednesday morning (hey, it is just a couple
of hours flight away).

I have been given my position at turn 16 (I believe this is the final
turn before the start/finish straight) but you generally rarely get to
see us workers because we don't venture out onto the track much from
behind the safety fences (if we can help it).  And the fencing is even
more secure and obstructive these days since we lost once of our number
of few years ago.

It doesn't help that I am pretty securely tethered by a communications
cable so I could barely get onto the track if I tried (I do manage to
get over the concrete barrier with my camera for the "drivers' parade" -
you gotta get SOME perks for doing all the hard work).

MAKE SURE YOU CATCH UP WITH ME FOR THAT BEER, RICK!

Oh yeah, the most important thing - I don't think they show it much on
TV, but there are a couple of parades of "classic/vintage racing cars"
and we have two TCs from my fellow club members heading up for that (the
rest of the time they sit in the "museum" tent :-)

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII