Re: Darn! Clutch fixed!

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Darn! Clutch fixed!
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 22:40:01 +1030
Eric wrote:

> Well..... it still doesn't "feel" quite right - but I just tried a bit
> of BRUTE FORCE and I now have gears.  Started her up in 1st and hopped
> away down the street and after a bit of slamming and crunching she got
> her gears back.  The clutch feels suspect (like low in pressure) but
> everything else feels OK.
>
> Hmmm, more investigation needed!

If in doubt - rip it out!

I head off to the F1 Grand Prix on Wednesday morning and when I come
back I have no more weekends to fiddle with the car.

Ripped out the master cylinder and boots shot all to heck... new kit and
all is well again.  Why I sweated it was a mystery to me.

Now all I have to do is get the new rear axle settled in (disc brakes
and LSD) and get the car a damn good tuning (dyno preferred), but as
usual time is going to catch me out, so there go the big bucks that
novices like me give to others to make sure the expensive and critical
stuff isn't destroyed (or so badly fitted that it has to be done twice
when there is no time to spare).

My mechanic is heading towards retirement so he needs the money (yeah,
so he can finish off his twinkie and his DB4 and his 'B V8 race car).

I can't afford to miss ONE race because I don't finish up the top end of
the field so my only chance at a trophy is consistency.

No wonder the most successful guys out at our races are retired or
semi-retired or at least are at that stage where their businesses almost
run themselves, own their own houses and have grown up kids moved away
from home.  They have the time and the money to do this stuff.

What? Me disillusioned... NEVER :-)

Let's get out on the track!

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII

"Nothing overshadows truth so completely as authority"
ALBERTI