RE: Desperate - Oil Leak From Front Tappet Cover

To: "Bob Howard" <mgbob@juno.com>, "MG Digest (E-mail)"
Subject: RE: Desperate - Oil Leak From Front Tappet Cover
From: "Christian, Wellner L. CIV COMNAVAIRSYSCOMPATUXENTRIVERMD AIR
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 06:26:28 -0500
Bob,
        Thanks much for the comments.
        As usual with this car, nothing is as it seems.
        Here's some more surprises.  The engine has about 6K miles on it.
Complete re-build.  The only thing not done was to install hardened valve seats.
        If there was too much pressure in the crankcase, then I would suspect
other gaskets would leak too (?)  What do you think about this to check for too
much pressure -  If I disconnect the valve (rocker) cover tube (remove the cap
I put on to seal) with the tappet cover still connected to the carbs, if the
crankcase pressure was high, there should be no measurable vacuum (measured
with a gauge) at the valve cover tube with the engine idling ??????  Any
thoughts ?  I'm due for a valve adjustment, spark plug replacement, and wires &
cap replacement - I'll do the compression test at the same time.
Unfortunately, having owned five Alfas and two Toyota Supras (7M), I'm very
familiar with leaky head gasket symptoms :-)  So far, none have surfaced and
car has good power.  One thing I cannot seem to cure is a chronic high idle
problem - I keep fixing it and a few hundred miles later it comes back (?)
Seems like a vacuum leak, but I just can't find it.
        I've never tried opening the tappet cover with the valve cover still
plugged.  I've tried opening the valve cover with the tappet cover still
connected to the carbs and opening both to atmosphere - both produce the leak.
I was originally going to leave the tappet cover connected to the carbs and
open the valve cover tube (and install an small air filter on the valve cover
tube), but the high idle problem (and the leak) precluded doing this.
        Someone else just E-Mailed me about a single piece cover that he used
to finally cure his leak.  What I'm actively looking for is a cover from an
older car that has a gasket channel.  On my car, the rear cover (with the
gasket channel) hasn't leaked a drop !!!

Thanks Again For The Time,  Skip

P.S.  250M miles for mains.  That's impressive.  I can't imagine 150K for any
MGB engine.  What's the record out there for an MGB engine without the head
being removed ????