Damper piston

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Damper piston
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 20:49:16 -0600
What would cause the carb damper piston to keep popping loose? It always
happens on the rear carb on the HIF's I put on the 79B. I thought it might
be the plastic cap's threads were worn, so I bought a new one and it's doing
the same thing. Some amount of backfire through the carbs occurs when the
car is cold and the choke is full out to about half in.
This car just came out of the shop a few hundred miles ago and was tuned by
a pro using what he called "mercury sticks", CO monitors, etc. He said the
front carb could not be adjusted to perfect-it is a little lean. Carbs were
rebuilt this winter.
Thanks,
Monte