Re: MGA 1622 FRONT BRAKES

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGA 1622 FRONT BRAKES
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:28:11 -0500
----- Original Message -----

> Ive got my front disc brakes apart to rebuild, but I forgot how they go
back
> together and the instructions with the rebuild kit aren't much help
>
> The fit between the pin that guides the piston and the piston is tight. I
> have to force it down. Is this correct? The rebuild kit consists of 1
> rectangular rubber, one rubber shaped like a U and a circular metal cap
with
> 2 sides. What goes where?
>
> David
> 1622 MGA
> Medford, Oregon.

Do you have shop manual? They usually have good instructions/illustrations
(pictures being worth a thousand words...).

Here is a copy of the instructions from the BMC shop manual re: the seal
retainer. "Fit the seal in the mouth of the bore, followed by the seal
retainer (with the recessed side outermost). Earlier types... are fitted
with a dust seal that has a 'T'' shaped cross section; this seal fits inside
the retainer. "

It's been a while since I've had the brakes apart on my MGA and I can't
recall if the pistons seemed tight over the center guide. The exploded parts
illustration labels the part inside the piston as 'friction sleeve' so one
can assume it must be a tight fit...

Here are some hints for the Lockheed disc brakes - I don't have any
experience with the Dunlop brakes on TwinCams & MK2 Deluxes.

The rectangular rubber is the fluid seal - it goes in first. Make sure the
recess where the seal fits is clean - no debris or corrosion.

The U shape is the dust seal. I insert the piston (lubricated with clean
brake fluid) about 3/4 of the way then fit the seal in. Note that the piston
is to fitted with the machined away portion down (away from the bleed
screw).

Next the metal ring (seal retainer) needs to be pressed into placed
*squarely*. I use an old retainer placed backwards over the new retainer.
Use an old brake pad with a C-clamp to press the retainer & piston combo in.
Watch carefully to ensure the retainer in going in square.

HTH,
Eric Russell
Mebane, NC