RE: making power above 3800 rpm? Webers

To: <WSpohn4@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: making power above 3800 rpm? Webers
From: "smarc" <smarc@abs.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:16:51 -0500
An interesting post, which I enjoyed. I'm not knowledgeable enough to
comment on the technical aspects, but as far as converting MGB's to a Weber
DGV carb, I have to say that the only justification I ever heard for it was
simplicity. That was the reason I did it. Certainly was simple, I had never
swapped a carb, but I had it running in no time. Of course, it ran like
crap, but that's another story!

Thanks for the responses thus far, it would appear that I really should look
at the distributor setup before I delve into cam shaft swaps. Which suits me
fine!

It was pointed out to me that the distributor dashpot for a 1980 MGB should
be connected to MANIFOLD vacuum, as opposed to PORTED (carburetor?) vacuum.
I originally had it set up that way, but after some problems last year
wherein I could not eliminate the pinking problem I was having, switched it
to PORTED vacuum. This made a huge improvement in the pinking problem, but
now I wonder if perhaps I've just managed to mask the problem or make it
worse?  I was also asked what the timing was set at, but frankly, I'm not
exactly sure since I think the timing mark is off by more than a little
bit...

Anyway, I'd rather muck around with the distributor before I tear apart my
engine. I have the stock ignition, although I've had to replace the module
in the ignition amplifier.  I guess it's time to do some more reading...
--
Marc Siegel, Charm Net, LLC.  eMail: smarc@abs.net
Baltimore, MD  http://www.charm.net  voice: 410/361-8160