Re: Starter Options

To: "Dean T. Lake" <dtlake@erols.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starter Options
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 15:02:47 -0000
I tried one on the V8 for a while and IMHO it is one of the few upgrades
that are really worth it.  The first time I cranked after fitting it I
thought it was just spinning and not engaging, it was so quiet and smooth,
but then it burst into life as normal.  As well as being smoother it cranks
faster *and* puts less load on the battery, both of which aid starting, so
an all-round winner as far as I'm concerned.  The only draw-back is the
price - it is typically double the price of a rebuilt exchange unit but
there is no exchange involved.  The reason I went back to a conventional
starter is that the hi-torque units have an adapter plate to interface a
'standard' unit to your particular back-plate and the one I had used just
four 1/2" self-tappers and super-glue to hold it together.  Needless to say
after a few starts it fell apart.  Later units are bolted through and much
more robust.

PaulH.