RE: angle drive

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: angle drive
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 01:01:20 -0500
The right angle drive isn't too hard to fix.  The most common problem is
that the square end that goes into the transmission twists off.  To fix this
you will need about 1-1/2 inches of 1/8" square key or bar stock and about 1
hour.  The cap on the back of the angle drive is staked in.  Remove the
stakings and the cap can be removed.  After removing the cap, remove the
gear and there is a bushing between the gear and the drive.  The broken
drive can be driven out of the bushing and the new key stock pressed in.  I
don't remember for sure, but I think I put a small spotweld on the back of
the bushing to really hold the new key stock in place.  After doing this,
put everything back together and restake the cap.

James Nazarian
71 MGBGT V8
71 MGB Tourer